The 19th Annual GERD Awareness Week is going to be celebrated like every year this November (18-24), 2018. GERD stands for Gastro esophageal reflux disease. It is in fact a very common disorder around the world especially in the developing countries.
How can you Participate?
Each year many health societies around the world participate in that especial say and most of them celebrate it as a whole week of GERD awareness. The motto is that the more we work together for the awareness of that disease, the greater number of people would be saved from its wrath. The basic need and motive of that week is to increase our ability to impact positive outcomes as much as we can. These may be in the form of research, educational progress, awareness opportunities, and improved medic care facilities for all the people equally around the world.
One of these potentially active organizations is the IFFGD. It tends to celebrate this week each year with full zeal. Founded in 1991,The International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders is an NGO which works for the education and research development tasks in certain areas of the world. Its special emphasis is on the cure and safety against chronic digestive conditions.
It is a manifesting coincidence that this year GERD Awareness Week has come to be celebrated the same week of religious ceremony of Thanksgiving. During such ceremonies people most suffer from such diseases as they do not take care in case of food and drinks, hence their digestive system suffers a lot.
Here we are giving 10 tips which would really reduce your GERD symptoms at this Thanksgiving:
· Always prefer loose and easy clothes that aren’t too tight for your belly.
· Try to sit up straight whenever you are eating food.
· Eat smaller portions at each meal but avoid the following foods:
· Fatty foods
· Spicy foods
· Acidic foods, like tomatoes and citrus
· Coffee or any caffeinated beverage
· Carbonated beverages
Always avoid and review the following medicines which can really increase your risk of GERD:
· Sedatives and painkillers
· Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
· Calcium channel blockers
· Certain asthma medications
· beta-agonists like albuterol
· medications used to treat conditions such as glaucoma
· Some antibiotics
· Iron tablets
Along with persistent heartburn, the most common symptom of GERD are as follows:
· Burning pain in the center of the chest
· Pain becomes usually worse after eating.
· Lying down can make it worse.
· Regurgitation of bitter fluid up into the throat with extremely bitter taste in the mouth.
· Early morning Hoarseness with Persistent dry cough
· Tightness felt in the throat, as if something is stuck in it
· Trouble in swallowing even the soft foods